Saturday, March 5, 2016

My Fair Share of Descrimination


There are millions in the planet who are in many way descriminated in any forms. Some got fired because they are transexual, others because of their origin, race, culture and a lot more. I too had a fair share of being descriminated in the work place.

So here's the story: I applied in one of the BPO company here at Cavite. I went on with the process from examination to final interview. Everything went well. Knowing that I have Rheumatic Heart Disease I disclose it awaiting for them to tell me to get a doctors clearance or a fit to work in case i get hired.

I learned on that same day that I made it and I was so happy as it was already my third month of being unemployed. The lady who is assisting me and was very helpful gave me a ton of list of all the documents that I need to provide.

In the days after nearing my training date, I went back and I learned that she wasnt there and that I have to wait for the other 2 guys to help me with my concern. I waited for more than 3 hours in the waiting area. Then finally, the lady who has been helping me came and got my papers and told me that I have one full month to furnish the rest.

I already spent my money furnishing the documents needed, but again I am still happy because at last I am going to start working again and I will start from the bottom and planned to climb up the ladder.

Then the dreaded day came, 26 hours before my supposed first day of training I recieved a text message coming from the recruiters team. I am already expecting it I told myself they may be wanting me to get a doctors fit to work since I have this Rheumatic Heart Disease (RHD). So I went to meet them.

I was endorsed to the clinic and I told the doctor there that I have RHD and I declared it. I also told the doctor that during my physical/medical exam I also declared it. So the doctor said she will endorse me to HR for the final decision.

An HR personnel asked me and handed me a TERMINATION PAPER stating that I violated their rule and that I am a risk to the company and to the employee. So in my defense I told the HR personnel that I had been working graveyard for the past 10 years and I havent encountered any problem at all. I told her that I can get a fit to work from my cardiologist as well if it is necessary.

She went out the room and then after few minutes she came and told me that they are not pushing through my application since they cant hire me because I AM SICK. She also told me they have even an instance where a normal person, who is not sick, just collapsed and died.

I am disheartened. I am also concern because this is discrimination in the work place. There is no equality. So I said my Thank You's for accomodating me shake her hand and left the office with a heavy heart. In my mind does this mean that we are not allowed to work in this company because simply we are sick?

Though I am disheartened by the turn of events. Though I pity those people who are willing to work for this company even though they recieve a little less compared to working in Metro Manila. I just realized that this is not the culture of the company I want to work with. I am for equality and I am for fairness. I am sharing my experience because I wanted to let everyone know that being treated unequal is a blessing from God. When you knock into someones house and they closed their door to you it simply means you have to leave. Say a little prayer so that God will touch their heart before you finally take your first step.

It is what it is. We are living in the world full of injustice and biasness. But if we stick on the Golden Rule to Love Everyone including your enemy can make a difference in making this world a better place to breath in.

Love Wins no matter what. My experience has thought me to be more humble despite being under fire. Despite circumstances we still should stand and pick up where we have left and move forward. I encourage everyone who was descriminated to stand up and pray those who descriminated you so that God will touch their lives and their hearts to be more compasionate. People who are sick should also be given the equal opportunity to work. The opportunity for them to earn something so that they can buy their medicine and help feed their family as well. Above all, I encourage everyone who are mistreated to humble down and be more forgiving. This is what this whole situation has thought me.

No comments: