Saturday, March 7, 2015

Is your SSS Guarantee you at Retirement?

After working hard we all want to make sure that once we reached our twilight years we definitely wanted  to have a better and financial stability. Since we are on our twilight years we definitely will rely on our retirement benefit and of course for private employee SSS is on top of  their priority list that they would depend on. Though it is good to have a Social Security System, the amount though is not enough to cover the needs. Of course by that time we need maintenance, city services, and other special needs.

I am already on my early 30's and its a good thing I realized that the idea of depending to SSS is not a good idea at all. I cannot afford to have Php 4400 to Php 6500 per month for my monthly retirement from them.

I would say that most of the younger professionals in the Philippines is either supporting their siblings go to college, their parents or they have their own family. With the high amount of tax being paid plus high amount 

Here's my plan to have a better retirement and only time can tell if it is successful or if I made a mistake.
SSS is it worth it? Is it enough?

  1. Savings Account - saving a portion or at least Php 500 per payday is good enough to start. though it is not a guarantee that it will  cover everything at least you still have something for emergency purposes. This will somehow be an Emergency Fund account for me someday and I am planning to start it the soonest possible time. Having a savings account to some is tempting more so that you'd be thinking you have a money in the bank ready for withdrawal. However, having it is very helpful in helping you develop your sense of responsibility in saving something out of very minimal salary. They say the most effective way to save is to remove the money you are willing to save before breaking down your salary into the budget.
  2. Personal Equity and Retirement Account - otherwise known as PERA in the Philippines. This is somehow similar to the 401(k) or IRA in US. PERA Act of 2008 urges the working public to save money for their benefit when they retire. An individual can apply up to 4 PERA Account through accredit banks. An individual locally employed can save upto Ph 100,000 or Php 200,000 for Filipinos working abroad.
  3. Mutual Funds - This is for my long term goal. The problem for Filipino workforce like me is a lot of us doesn't know how to invest their money. Investing is necessary as it gives you a better and higher returns compared to depositing your money in a bank like Savings, Current, or Time Deposit. Providing the luxury and needs of the family is good. Giving them the best of everything is way better. However, I also would like to think of me when I can no longer work. I don't want to be totally dependent to my family members when I grow old so the need of much better retirement capabilities is also needed.

No comments: