Sunday, April 30, 2017

When I Remember You


By: Charlton D. Kis-ing

I was lying in bed alone one rainy afternoon. I hear the rain drops splattering in the rooftop. I hear the wind blew softly from my window pane. I decided to wake up and open my window enough to watch the rain drops and feel the cool wind. Ah! It gives me chills as it soothes my withered body. I hear the children laughing and screaming at the top of their lungs enjoying and playing under the comfort of the summer rain.

I feel the joy of these children running around and playing, throwing muds at each other. The innocents in them transcends. These kids are worry free and so I thought they’re free and they’re enjoying every minute that they have playing.

I remember the vulnerability and freedom of being a kid. I remember the time when I cherished the mud fish given by my childhood friend before he left me with no playmates left. I remember the times when I playing under the avocado tree, playing wet soils wet by my own urine, crying over a pet and laughing with my dog.

I imagine I was playing with them. I imagine laughing with them. Then I remember I was alone in my house so dark and so quiet. Then I remember I am now at 40. I checked my watch and its almost sunset. I know someone would come. I remember I was waiting for someone to come. I know someone so special and yet so dear to me would come. I smell the aroma of the coffee coming from my neighbor’s house. “Ahhh smells so good! Smells so refreshing.” That aroma. I remember a place. My favorite since I was 25 years old. I remember the coziness of the place. I smiled. I know that place is special. I know I made it so special and so dear.

“Uncle!” I heard someone, a child’s voice. So, angelic and so sweet. I saw the child waiving so I waived back to the child then I saw him running away playing with the other kids. That kids face looks so familiar. I remember someone with that face.

Then I felt cold that I shiver down my bones. I felt my muscles are shaking. I felt my back is aching. I felt I was in a roller coaster ride. I felt I was spinning. I felt I was falling. Then I heard a scream, “Daddy, uncle fell!”, screamed the child. I can’t see anything. It was dark. I just felt cold and numb. I was shivering. I can’t move anything.

BLAGGG! I heard. I think it was the door opening. I hear footstep. I hear someone’s talking. I listened attentively. 

“Rey… hey buddy! Rey wake up.”

“Can someone help. Please call an ambulance.”

I feel him shaking me. I feel him hugging me. I feel the warmth of his embrace. It feels familiar. I tried to open my eyes wide. I touched his face. I touched his nape, his nose and his lips. “I know it’s you. I remember you”, I said.

“Shhhhh. I am happy you remember me my friend,” he replied.

“It was you I had been waiting for all these time. I haven’t seen you in a while, I will be waiting for you even in the after life till we will have more time to spend," I said

Then the numbness is growing fast, everything is fading away, and I felt I am freezing cold. I can’t understand what their saying. Everything is fading away. I no longer can’t hear anything, I can’t see anything, I can’t feel anything.

No comments: