Monday, February 20, 2017

I Am Running Out of Time

I remember, the first thing I did when I first got into college is to plan my life. I placed a detailed time frame for everything. From the time I graduate up to my first job and my supposed ladder to success. I told my self, college is just 4 years and I shall graudaute in 4 years and have a job on the same year I gradauted.

I planned on how I will be able to have my first job and the kind of job I wanted to build. I dreamed to be working in a finest hospital, but I knew it would not happen so I changed my plan and want to be in a corporate world. I read stories about the life in a corporate setting and so I told myself to prepare and to have a good exposure and build my confidence. I joined activities that would expose me to be talking in public and to be graceful despite under pressure.

Everything was doing so well. I am ticking off one list at a time as the years progress. I was on the right track the way I planned it. Until I got stuck and was not able to move. I got so pressured as I am being left behind. Everyone I know was getting the job I wanted to have.

Until one day, I just stop chasing left the job and tried figure things out. Then I realized, maybe it wasnt time for me to be in the position I wanted to have. I realized, I never had a mentor, I dont have some of the skills I needed to have to succeed. I dont need to compete with the people around me because everyone is running at their own pace, at their own timeline, and at their own rythm.

So I have to revamp my own plan. This time its not about getting this and getting that in a specific year or age. Rather I believe on things below in order for me to get to where I wanted to go:

1. Mentor

Mentors plays a very important role in career building. They are your advisers as you go through your journey. Thats what I needed. I needed a mentor who is well experienced in the career I wanted to pursue. A mentor at work and outside the office I think is a good combination so I would have people who would guide as I go through the challenges at work and an outsiders perspective in my plans and goals.

2. Skills and Knowledge

Of course I dont want to go in a battle without knowing how to load and fire a gun. I need to acquire specific skills needed to be successful in the job I wanted to pursue. So I will be bolder this time to ask for activities so I could develop my potentials and learn some skills needed. I will take all trainings that I think I need to attend trainings and seminars for me to have a knowledge and potentially apply it at work.

I remember some years ago, I wanted to lead a huge project but I just cant have opportunity at work. So I created that opportunity. I wanted to experience and I need the experience so I launch my own personal project.

3. Image

I just learned in my new job some months ago that your image is also important. It is how people percieve you as a person, a colleague or a leader would define your future career. It blew my mind. I never thought of that. I never thought and I never cared about my image before. So I hope I could re-image myself to be better. Its a work in progress and it will always be a constant work in progress.

So I guess I will start with these three principles in my quest to fulfilling my career bucket list. Just as I realized, I wasnt running out of time.

No comments: