Sunday, April 9, 2017

The Leader In Me

Finding the Leader in Me
By: Charlton Domoguen Kis-ing


Miranda Priestly of Devils Wears Prada is always the kind of character that I perceive to be a great leader when I am starting my career. She has that character and personality so strong that would make you prioritize what she wants. She has a very good command and power that when she barges into the office, she already conveys message easily understood by everyone even without her saying any words.

As years go by, I then reassess myself and the kind of leadership I want to employ. I started asking myself, would I want to be a leader so stiff that no one dares to commit a mistake. Do I want to become someone else’s Miranda Priestly in their career life so afraid to commit a mistake because they’d know they’ll be eaten by the mighty lion ready to snap his jaw around their neck because they can’t deliver the expectation that I have in place?

Then I realized, being a Miranda Priestly is not someone I am made up for. I never wanted to be that dreadful person who makes everyone pee when I arrive. A leader who is like Miranda Priestly makes shiver and a leader who employs fear to get ths job done.

As I mature, my perception about effective leader has changed. A leader is a mother so tender to understand his children no matter what happen. A leader is a father who has that ample amount toughness to sail the team towards the goal. A leader influences his people to do what is right. Above all, a leader is someone who can work tirelessly with his people towards achieving the goal, sailing together towards one mission and sharing one vision.

I wanted to be like Moana who leads her people by example. Who defy norms to save her people. That one leader who is willing to sacrifices herself for her people. Thats the leader who I want to become. The leader who operates for and by the people.

Take the leap and take the courage to take off.

No comments: